Saturday, April 4, 2009

It's Alive! It's Alive!


After several very anxious weeks, one of the hard drives which was dead has a new lease on life.

Thanks to Todd Ellison at MakeTheWeb.com, who suggested to my husband that the data was probably fine, it 'just' needed a new hard drive controller. Then they had a 25 minute guy talk about the technical aspects of that.

A matching hard drive came today, after finding a sister twin on eBay. In less than an hour, my husband had it tested and cannibalized for the broken controller board on mine. And all put together. Then the moment of truth, when he turned my computer back on.

And the hard drive did not mount. Or whatever it is that you call it on a PC. My computer saw it at the BIOS level, and it was there as a device ... but not one with a drive letter.

Well, we both started looking for an answer. The internet has all the answers, you know!

I found what we needed to do ... (yes, me!) and turned the device from a foreign drive to a happy local one and LO AND BEHOLD!

ALL my files are there.

I cried, it was such a relief.

No comments: